I’ve had the good fortune throughout my life to be blessed with good roommates. Almost five years ago (I can’t believe it’s already been that long) I had roommate who possessed not only with the gift of cooking, but also the love of tweaking the ingredients just so to produce satisfying and healthy results. One favorite I like to call Comfort Food-Lover’s Delight. It’s a mix of sausage, onions, pepper, marinara sauce, and if you’re so inclined — cheese, all hot and melty on your choice of bread. My husband loves sausage and I’m a marinara sauce fanatic, so this suits both our needs, and since it’s so easy it can be a great meal for those nights when I’m feeling lazy about cooking. And for those fellow weight-watchers out there, although it hits the spot just so, and tastes sinfully delicious, the whole construction adds up to about 8 points. Obviously, as you change ingredients, the points-value will change, but I’ll share the ingredients we used — and you may notice that most are from Trader Joe’s — I love Trader Joe’s!
Ingredients (enough for 2 servings):
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, cut into long thin slices
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into long thin slices
- 2 sausages (we like TJ’s Spicy Jalapeño Chicken or Sweet Italian Chicken)
- spices (TJ’s 21 Seasoning Salute, or cumin, basil, oregano, red pepper…)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (TJ’s Tomato Basil)
- 2 slices lite Havarti cheese (again TJ’s sliced is our choice here)
- 1 serving TJ’s Mediterranean Flatbread (adds 2 points to recipe) or Orowheat Sandwich Thins
- fork, spoon, and lots of napkins to enjoy the “mess”
- Boil the sausage until it swells (usually 5 or so minutes). Drain. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté oil, red onion, garlic until the onion begins to turn translucent (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the bell pepper and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the bite-sized pieces of sausage. Sauté all ingredients until they start to lightly brown. Sprinkle your choice of spices (we like TJ’s 21 Seasoning Salute – mixture of salt, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and about 17 others).
- Pour in marinara sauce. Stir until sauce begins to bubble and ingredients are mixed together well. Cover and turn off heat.
- Toast sandwich thins and/or flatbread. Add cheese.
- Spoon sausage and marinara mixture onto your bread. Let the cheese melt.
If you try this out, let me know how you like it AND if you have some recipes of your own, please feel free to share!